Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hopping and Buzzing

If you are on Final Blog Hop of the 2010 VC Rocks Season, and arrived here from Angela Walters' darling Life with a Weiner Dog blog         
WELCOME!
If you are hopping and find any broken links or just want to start the hop at the beginning, you can click HERE.

Since there is no set "theme" for this hop - I'm am sticking to my usual antics and giving you Punch Art.

 And today it is BUZZ!

 No, not the little honey bee kinda buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It is the "TO INFINITY AND BEYOND" kinda Buzz.

I have had MANY requests for Woody and Buzz from the Toy Story movies. Woody is easy since I just have to give directions to where guest puncher, Sheila White, did him months ago. But no one has ever sent me a Buzz Lightyear - so I made him for today's post.

Of course, the only use I personally have for a punched Buzz is to show him to YOU - so you can ohhh and ahhh over him.

So you start the appropriate ohhhing and ahhhing, and while you are doing that, I'll tell you how I made him.


Warning: Buzz contains 2 retired punches - when you read the directions below, you will find that I give you suggestions on ways to get the same effect.  Am I a good little blogger, or what?

Helmet is the new 2.5 inch circle from vellum and another 2.5 inch circle punched close to that hole.

Face - RETIRED key tag punch in retired blush blossom, another key tag punch in perfect plum behind it.  (You can get the same effect from a 2x1 inch rectangle if you round the corners)  And I suggest blushing bride as your flesh tone. (If you didn't follow my directions to stock up on blush blossom paper.)

Eyes - small circle from Itty Bitty Punch Pack in white, 1/2 of the same thing in flesh, standard hole punch in bashful blue, drew in black with marker

Eyebrows - wide Heart to Heart next to the wide Heart to Heart hole so you get a funny shaped sliver from the top of the heart - cut that in half to get two curved eyebrows.

Nose - small circle from Itty Bitty Punch Pack trimmed to a triangle

Mouth - tip of word window

Chin - small circle from Itty Bitty Punch Pack

Neck - breast from owl punch (not necessary - you could easily use a circle - I'm just reporting what I actually grabbed)

Top of suit - small oval in perfect plum, large oval in certainly celery, wide oval in perfect plum

Suit base - 2.5 inch circle in white - trimmed flat

Breast piece - Full Heart in certainly celery cut in half  (pointy ends are placed right at the edge of the perfect plum wide oval)

Breast decorations - RETIRED slot punch, small circle from Itty Bitty Punch Pack, 3/4 inch circle in white, 1/2 inch circle in Baja Breeze   (you can substitute little strips of paper for the slot punch - they just won't be rounded on the ends)

Arms are layered as follows:
  • 1 inch circle in black
  • 3/4 inch circle in gray
  • Small oval in white (end punched away with the 3/4 inch circle)
  • 3/4 inch circle in certainly celery
  • Small oval in white
Hands are ends of modern label punched with the 3/4 inch circle - slot punch added at wrist

 Mid Section is a Round Tab Punch run through the crimper, small oval in celery, small oval in white that had two leg holes punched with a 3/4 inch circle

Legs - small oval thighs, modern label calves (snipped to a point at the knee)

Feet - 1 inch circle, cut in half to get two feet - trimmed flat at the heel,  1/2 inch circle (cut in half) at the toes.

 ***** 
FYI - Buzz is approximately 7 inches tall - so he is better to use on a scrapbook page.  For a standard size card you will need to leave part of him off.

ANOTHER FYI - On Monday this blog turns 1 year old, so Buzz is the final post of its infancy.  May the Inspiration Fairy take notes from Buzz and keep providing ideas "to Infinity and beyond".

Want to see more fun Stampin' Up! stuff?  Continue on the hop and visit Holly at InkPaperStamps to see what creative thing she has dreamed up for you.

 Have a great weekend!

42 comments:

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Well, as usual, you have blown me away. I just love this one, I have
always loved Disney characters and Buzz is no exception.

Thanks so much for sharing him, and now I must go work on a certain challenge, so that Buzz can come live with me, lol.

hugs,

Patrice said...

Wow how stinking cute is he!!!> Ellen you so totally rock. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!!Thanks for sharing him with us!

Chris said...

Wow! Fabulous job! Thank you for sharing your how-to's! I love him!

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

Absolutely incredible, Ellen! And congratulations on your upcoming blogoversary, too.

Donna said...

AMAZING! You never fail to WOW me with your creations. You have an such an eye for detail, it truly boggles me how you can seem to make any character once you set your mind to it. If you have not been named Queen of the Punches you should be.

Mary Campbell said...

Great work. I have never seen so many uses for our punches. Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Love - Love - LOVE Buzz!!! How cute is he?! Omg, my nephew will freak when I make him a bday card with Buzz! Have an awesome, blessed day!

Rebecca said...

Oh mine, I loved it. You did a great job. Please keep up your good work with punch art. Disney is my favorite.

Loni said...

Great job as usual Ms Ellen!!! Thanks for all you do as a VC Rocks Moderator and for helping this Rookie Mod survive that Rookie year!! Hugs, Loni www.loniholt.blogspot.com

Shari said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Buzz rocks. YOU ROCK!

slbt17 said...

oh my, oh my -
my son loved Buzz Lightyear when he was young - so much so, that one of my daughter's, 2 years younger, first word was BU BU BU BUZZZ!
thank you - this is so going to come in handy when he starts college!
Sandra

Ruby said...

I just love him! You did such a great job, and tku for how to make him. You're the best!

Sheryl B said...

My jaw just dropped. You really are the 'Punch Queen', Ellen! I love Buzz! You really do ROCK! :)

kraftykat157 said...

love it! love it!
you are wonder puncher and thanks so much for sharing!

Terri said...

Ellen what can I say you just keep topping yourself. I bow down to the "Punch Queen".

Kym said...

OOHHHH. AAHHHH! Great project Ellen!

Deborah said...

I continue to be dazzled by your skillz!! Dang Girl!! Outstanding as always.

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

This is so awesome, really over the top:)

Tina said...

Wow, wow, wow! Love it and all the details!

Tina
tinataves.blogspot.com

Veronica said...

Too cute! Thanks, Ellen.

Laura Lipe, Pisgah Forest, NC said...

Oh, Ellen, what ALOT of work and how DARLING he is. My grandchildren would LOVE him---if I were to go to all the work to make one. He's precious!! And one of my favorites characters of Toy Story. Thank you for continuing to make wonderful punch art!!! Smiles, Laura

Tessa said...

Oh my! You constantly amaze me Ellen! Thanks for the continued inspiration-may the 'inspiration fairy' be upon you as you start your second year of blogging! :) OH, and if you hadn't seen it, I have a mr and mrs potato head punch art on my blog from a teenage friend of mine. I'm sure you could disect it, remake and improve on it for your readers! :)

Linda Callahan said...

Every time I think you can't possibly top yourself - you do! Incredible!

creations by jackie said...

I don't know what to say except you are amazing. My mind doesn't come up with art like these. Thank you for sharing.

Tory said...

Ohhhh! Ahhhh! He's awsome, Ellen, just like you.

Lori said...

ooohhh & aawww is right! Just amazing. Would love to put on a scrappy page for my son. Thanks for sharing your punch ideas!

Carolyn Gibbs said...

Absolutely brilliant Ellen!

Missi said...

Fabulous!!

lifesabeach32940 said...

Once I get to the point where I think you can't blow me away ... you do!! This is AWESOME, Ellen, and so perfect ... as Toy Story 3 ... the ABSOLUTELY BEST movie of the year comes out on DVD in November. I will have to figure out how I can incorporate Buzz with the movie when I give it to my granddaughter ...

Thanks for the inspiration ... AGAIN!! Judy

Ellen Kemper said...

Judy,

How about putting him on the front of a gift bag - with the movie and some popcorn inside?

A Touch of SOL said...

You are REMARKABLE. Your talent ALWAYS has me speechless and I am Puerto Rican so you know that says alot...
Marisol Gutierrez

Debbie Peterson said...

Wow Ellen that is fabulous! You always amaze me with the images you put together with punches! I might have to try my hand at this one some day when I am scrapping pictures of my son when he was younger. He was a big Toy Story fan.

Jess Betts said...

He looks amazing!!!!

StamperShirley said...

How super great is that!! I want to be you when I grow up (mentally, that is ...) I want just a tiny bit of your imagination instead of copying all the time! Your use of our punches never ever ceases to amaze me!!! Hugs to you, my friend.

Linda said...

You have such an awesome creative mind. It amazes me how it works. Such detail!
Thank you so much for sharing with the less creative.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow! I expect to hear Woody yelling to him any moment!

Brenda said...

OKay, you blew me away with this one Ellen. Buzz is just fantastic!

Thanks for the directions and all.

Sharon Madsen said...

Now this is simply fabulous! My 2 year old grandson loves "buzzyear" as he calls him. I will definately be making this for him!

Danielle Denhardt (Purrfectly Creative Designs) said...

Thanks so much for posting Buzz, Ellen! As you know, I had been looking for him for my nephew's 4th birthday card a couple of weekends ago. I just resorted to cutting out a printed picture and using that, but this is way cooler! I'm gonna use him on Owen's Christmas card!

Woohoo!

Brandy said...

Perfection! I love him!

Ann G. said...

I finally got time to copy this myself - thanks so much for sharing and for the awesome instructions! http://discover-ink.blogspot.com/2011/03/toy-story-buzz-light-year-punch-art.html I had to use a circle scissors as we don't have the 2.5" circle punch & never had the retired key tag so thanks for the alternate on the later. Love your work is an understatement!

Anonymous said...

I just love your Buzz punch art and had to give it a go. I made my Buzz a little smaller: http://debfearns.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/buzz-lightyear/
Thanks for sharing the all the details in your post. Cheers Deb