Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Sailor Man

Yesterday's nurse had those skinny legs which my upline, Jenifer, said reminded her of Olive Oyl and she KNEW saying that would lead to this...

Yeah, I know his nose is too large but I'd rather have this shape and too large than small and round.  Feel free to find something better and tell me what to try.

Here is a big punch art secret (shh..... don't tell EVERYONE!)  When you can't or don't want to punch the "bottom" half of a character - just have them poking out of a circle.  I figured that out way back when I tried Cookie Monster

I cut this circle with my circle scissor plus.  I didn't like this tool at first.  I couldn't get a perfect circle.  Of course, I wasn't doing it correctly.  The key is to use plenty of Dotto - temporary adhesive. and then stop cleaning your glass mat so thoroughly.  Let the glass get "seasoned" with the adhesive and use the adhesive and when your paper stays in place your circles come out p-e-r-f-e-c-t!  The red base of the card is showing, the brilliant blue is one hole and the turquoise is a ring on the blue.  See, I really did conquer the circle scissor plus!

Head - 1.25 circle, 1/2 a butterfly
Nose - wing from NEW Two Step Bird  (I think I call the wing a leaf in some of my past directions, sorry)
Ear - small Heart to Heart
Eye - standard hole punch
Winking eye - the throw away part from the NEW scallop border punch - kinda tucked behind the nose
Eyebrow - part of the scallop from the NEW scallop border (yes, I am brilliant sometimes)
Mouth - part of the same punch as eyebrows
Hat - piece of modern label re-punched to make shorter and a 3/4 inch circle
Neck - My Way arrow
Shirt - large oval snipped with my way arrow to get V neck, standard hole punch buttons
Sleeves - small oval HOLE punched with large oval to get thin ring and slot punch
Arm - My Way arrow
Forearm   - 1 inch circle
Hand - 3/4 inch circle, trimmed, fingers drawn
Pipe - 1/2 inch circle trimmed straight on sides, slot punch cut in half
Spinach can - 1.25 circle cut straight on sides and re-punched to round in the top
Spinach - leaves from branch of NEW Two Step Bird

Jeez, that was a little complex huh?  You should have been here with me trying to figure him out!   I googled his image and this is a conglomeration of some of them - was thrilled when I saw one in a circle reminding me of that old trick - I was struggling with his legs. 

So it was a little hard but if you ever HAVE to have the muscle bound Popeye the Sailor Man on a project - you know how to get him!

Shall I try Olive Oyl?  Maybe I will, they'd be great on a Valentine together!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just laughed when I saw picture of Popeye. Good job. You are very talent artist.

lifesabeach32940 said...

WOW!! He is AWESOME!! I think his nose is perfect!! I know I've said it before, but I LOVE YOUR blog. I can't wait to visit each morning to see what you've come up with!!

Anonymous said...

Well, as usual, you pulled it off. Hmmmmm, this may turn into 'stump the punch artist'! LOL Popeye looks fantastic, and this will be perfect for a card for one of my friends.
Keep up the great work! (And have I ever told you lately how GLAD I am that you are a part of my group? :)

Jenifer

Brenda Myers said...

Great job!! I think he looks perfect!! Thanks for sharing!! Your work is awesome!!

Lucy said...

Wow, I love Popeye and you captured him perfectly. tku!

Veronica said...

What a great job you did on Popeye! My sister follows your blog and wait until she sees him. He was one of her favorite cartoon characters when she was a kid. And, you are right about Olive Oyl...they would be great on a Valentine together!

Anonymous said...

I always liked to watch Popeye...thinking about it now, it was probably very silly! lol
lovin' your creativity here!
Pam Going Postal

Whimcees said...

Oh My! Popeye! I love him! Yes we need to see Olive Oyle also! And the baby! Too fun! You are amazing!

I used to think how could you keep going with the paper punch characters - but you won't ever run out of ideas! Not with your creative mind! :<)

Now you know that you could get Popeye's legs if you wanted to - so he could stand proud! :<)

Wishing you a great weekend and hope everyone is now well at your house!

Barbara Diane

Anonymous said...

I just love what you do. You are very creative and talented to say the least. I always smile when I get to your blog. Thank you and thank you for sharing with all of us.
Patricia G.

Anonymous said...

WHERE do you come up with these ideas?????? WOW! When I think that you've come up with an idea that can't be topped... you pull another fantastic idea right out of thin air! You just aMAZe me!

I really do appreciate your blog!
Thanks SO much for sharing with us!

Carol

Carolyn Sharkas said...

How did I miss this, I know I come here every day. Love Popeye! Love that his face cheeks and Cupid's butt cheeks are the same, LOL.

Keep it up, you always put a smile on my face.

Debby said...

Well this one made me cry. My dad always drew Popeye. He passed away unexpectedly on the 18th of January so I am just getting to check out your blog, missed a lot of goodies I can see. He would of loved this one. Thanks for sharing even though it did make me cry.
Angel hugs
Debby

Ellen Kemper said...

Debby, please accept our deepest sympathy for the death of your Dad. Sending hugs to you!