Sunday, November 1, 2009

Turtle Thank You




This is for a swap I joined where we all were to use the stamp-set Very Thankful - the sale of this set raises money for Ronald McDonald Houses.  I didn't use a single punch on this card (can you believe it?)  I did use a die and texture plates in my Big Shot but NO punches. 

I have read where some ladies are not happy that the texture plates leave a more subtle texture than an embossing folder.  I happen to LOVE the texture plates.  I have learned to add an extra layer (or two) to my "sandwich" before it rolls through the Big Shot if I am wanting the texture REALLY raised.  On this card, I took the thin white cardboard that comes with all SU's designer series paper and folded a piece in half and stuck it under my texture plate in the sandwich.  Got exactly the look I was going for.  You just have to play with it a bit - and get to know your own Big Shot.   With texture plates you have options- you can have subtle or intense texture on your project.  Just play and see what you can do!

I have mentioned my 'affection' for the mini library clips but I left them untouched this time and instead reached for Basic Jumbo Grommets to add a little somethin' to this card. - LOVE THEM.  You just lay your paper over your paper piercing pad (from the Mat Pack) - or use an old mouse pad if you still have one - and push the grommet down.  (In this case I was going through ribbon and paper so I had to flip mine over and push the paper down onto the grommet)   Once your grommet is through the paper just take a bone folder and push the little metal 'spikes' down.  Too easy!








You kept looking didn't you?  You KNEW I couldn't work with a cute little stamp like that turtle and not try to recreate him with punches.  And you were right - I just had to...



I used to doodle in the margins of my notes during high school and college and a little turtle with a flower in his hat was one of my regular characters.  I hadn't thought of him in so long - then BANG - he came right back when I was coloring the stamped image for my swap.  What a strange thing memory can be - I can see that turtle on notebook paper so clearly but dang if I can remember to stop by Home Depot for the part I need for a repair.

7 comments:

Sharon Field / Inky A*Muse-ment said...

Love the punchy turtle, Ellen!! The RMC card is pretty and colorful too.. but you are the queen of punches!

jeanne nielsen said...

You're right! I did keep looking! The turtle was cute, but I was disappointed that it wasn't punch art!!! TFS!

Creations by Patti said...

Cute - cute - cute!!!! I usually am not drawn to turtles but she's so cute!!!!!

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Love her! I like her much better than the stamped one. Much cuter!
Come to think of it, that shell would make a great 9 month baby bump.
You up for a challenge? Have a great Sunday. Oh, and I AM glad I will be getting the RMHC card, too.
Very pretty, just love the punched one better.

Peggy said...

Sorry Miz Punchy - but you did use a punch - the photo corner punch - thought you fooled us didn't you

Peggy

lifesabeach32940 said...

OMG!! Your punched turtle is AWESOME!! She has to be one of the cutest creations I've seen yet!! (I know. I know. I say that for EVERY ONE of your designs!!)

Ellen Kemper said...

Good eye Peggy - that corner was the last thing I added and then I promptly forgot it... just like the plumbing thing I need from Home Depot. They say your mind is the first thing to go...