Saturday, November 14, 2009

Filling Critter Requests part 1

Periodically I get requests to create something specific from punches and this one almost stumped me. 

Elizabeth Charland asked me way back before Halloween to try a hummingbird.  First - I don't have hummingbirds around my yard so I don't have much experience watching them.  Second, I just couldn't picture a "cartoon" hummingbird and my stuff is usually pretty silly looking. 

But I did create what I think looks like a serious hummingbird and the 'kid still at home' identified it as such when I grilled her, so I am going to take the chance and show you this bird.  I used the scallop oval on the wings because I thought that looked more like "movement" and the hummingbirds I have seen had those wings going so fast you couldn't see WHAT shape they were.



If I didn't get it right, go ahead and laugh - I will turn the volume down so I can't hear you.  I did this on kiwi kiss (retired) sponged in Basic gray with a beak from a strip of black.  Elizabeth, I hope it works for you.

And just so you can laugh without feeling bad for making fun of me, you can laugh WITH me on this next photo- I kept up the recent Santa hats on critters theme...



I'm typing this on my precious laptop - it is fixed and back home front and center on my desk!  I am a happy blogger today.

Tomorrow there will be two more critter requests filled.  Assuming I can get the second one done.

5 comments:

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Ellen, I love it and give it my seal of approval, because, as you know, I love me some birds. I wasn't laughing at all until I saw him with the Santa hat, then it was a different story. I am so glad you got your laptop back. Have a great day.

Hugs,

Becky said...

Awsome!!

Robbe said...

Congrats on getting your laptop back Ellen! More happy times for all of us.
I love the little hummingbird...I think he is great.

ELIZBATH said...

GREAT JOB ELLEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH. HOW DID YOU DO THE TAIL AND THE BECK
ELIZABETH

Ellen Kemper said...

Tail is a small oval punch trimmed down - hand drawn lines.

Beak is just a thin strip cut to a point using the paper trimmer.