Monday, August 24, 2009

Flashback Layout

Way back when.....in the summer of 2006, I became an SU demo.  I had lots of "stuff" but very little from Stampin' Up (yet).  This is one of my very first cards and I used a layout from a SU publication.
I had to borrow the square punch and use ribbon from my stash.  The set "Unfrogettable" has long since retired along with the Designer Series Paper.  BUT - the layout still works so I CASED MYSELF
(case = copy and share everything)
This card uses the Game Night Set and could be the front of an invitation or a thank you for a fun evening you have already had.  I will probably use the front of the card as a title for a scrapbook page.  Or maybe I'll use it for title and journal on the inside of the card.  I like that idea!  The paper, Night and Day Specialty, will be available in the Holiday Mini Catalog which begins on September 1 and goes until January 4, 2010.
What can you learn from this card? 
Let's talk punches for a minute.  The big heart is our Full Heart Punch and the small heart is one of the hearts on the Heart to Heart Punch.  But what about that spade? 
It is really simple - just turn the small heart upside down and add a little "stem" with the Slot Punch.  
(You can also make a club with 3 circle punches and a stem but I ran out of room on this card )
I also used a punch to make the black frame (where the ribbon is tied). 
I cut a 2 1/4 inch square then punched the center out with our 1 3/8 inch Square Punch. 
How do you get it right in the center?
 
Punch the 1 3/8 square from a piece of scrap paper.  Adhere your scrap right in the middle of your larger black square.  TURN YOUR PUNCH OVER and insert the black square so that you can see the scrap paper.  Line your punch exactly over the scrap and PUNCH.  You will have perfect placement.
So, you've gotten a couple of punch tips from me and a flashback layout. 
Take a look at some of your past cards - you might enjoying casing yourself too!

2 comments:

Carolyn Sharkas said...

How cool that you have one of your first cards and you were even good back then. Like the way you used the same layout with the game night set and got a completely different feel on that card. Keep em coming! You are doing awesome!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know of a really easy way to center the square punch. If you draw lines from corner to corner to make an X, all you have to do is place the lines in the corners of the smaller punch. this makes it a perfect center everytime. Hopes this helps you.

Sherri Power